The Tangram is one of the oldest puzzles in the world. It originated in China during the Song Dynasty (960-1279) and people have been playing with it ever since! The pieces are called Tans. There are 7 pieces that can make a perfect square then try to make other shapes shown in silhouette.
This puzzle comes with 27 double-sided cards showing silhouettes of people, birds, animals and other objects to make with the same seven pieces. The solutions are also given on the opposite side of the card.
If you run out of shapes to make you can always make up your own. Pick something and try to make it with the 7 pieces. Great for the imagination.
Each of the seven pieces of the Tangram has the same basic unit – right-angled isosceles triangle – in different configurations. The pieces are:
- two large right-angled triangles made up of four units each
- one medium right-angled triangle made up of two units
- two small right-angled triangles made up of a single unit each
- one square, made up of two units
- a parallelogram made up of two units.
For children, it provides an introduction to geometry, enhances shape recognition and spatial relationship skills, develops eye-hand coordination and dexterity, fosters mathematical, thinking and problem-solving skills, and helps acquire a precise vocabulary for manipulating shapes such as “flip” and “rotate”.
For adults, it’s a fun challenge especially when you dedicate yourself to seeing how many of the 54 different shapes there are to make with the same 7 pieces.
Anyone of any age can play. From 3 to 103!
Included with the puzzle is:
- 7 large size wooden tangram pieces
- 27 double-sided cards with 54 different silhouette shapes to make and the solutions
- Wooden tray to store cards and pieces
- Sliding acrylic lid to store the puzzle safely
Size of Tangram square is: 180mm x 180mm x 15mm
VIGA Vitality Imagination Great Achievement All VIGA toys are made of non-toxic paints and inks fully compliant with or over the latest EN71, ASTM, ST & GB6675 toy safety standards.