Puzzles by Type
11 step original designed puzzle box by Patrick Alpers. Collect if for yourself or open…
24 step original design multi-step sequential move puzzle box by Patrick Alpers. [...]Read More...
Difficulty 4/5 The puzzle is to take apart the 6 pieces. Once apart you will…
Stock Update 28th June 2021 10:15pm: The first batch of 150 puzzles sold out in…
Just three pieces to assemble around the black hole cube. How hard can it be?…
The one gold colour piece interlocks with the other three silver colour pieces. With closer…
Two pieces of the heart in different colours intertwine to make a single piece. [...]Read…
Cluebox is an interactive box with various puzzles that have to be solved one after…
This is the newest addition to our growing selection of wooden puzzle boxes designed by…
Cut the card into three sections along the lines and lay the three pieces so…
Take the puzzle out of its silicone banana case and you'll find the first packing…
Making 12 warriors out of 13 is not difficult. But explaining where the 13th warrior…
Puzzles by Type
Different classifications of puzzles to help you choose
Slocum’s Classification is probably the most widely used classification for mechanical puzzles. James Dalgety has also published an even more detailed list of classification which he uses to group puzzles in his collection. See his classification page at The Puzzle Museum website.
We’ve sorted puzzles into more generalised groups to help you find the puzzle you’re looking for so look for the + sign and expand the sub categories under this heading.
Metagrobology is the study of puzzles.
A metagrobologist is a person who studies puzzles.
Metagrobolise means to puzzle, mystify, baffle or confound.
The words are uncommon in everyday use and the only reference in print that I could find was this quote from Rudyard Kipling’s Stalky & Co in 1899 “It’s the olive branch,” was Stalky’s comment. “It’s the giddy white flag, by gum! Come to think of it, we have metagrobolized ’em.”
More recently many puzzlers have used the word metagrobologist to describe themselves. Wikipedia credits the American wire puzzle designer Rick Irby with first applying it to a puzzler in the 1970’s but that’s open to argument.
A search of the Oxford English Dictionary show no listings for either metagrbology, metagrobolise or metagrabologist so it seems the word is still puzzling us!
The Ideal Gifts For Puzzle Lovers In Your Life
Do you know someone who LOVES solving problems? The kind of person who can sit and concentrate on one thing for a long time? The sort of individual who gets a rush from figuring out complex solutions? If this sounds like someone you know and love, then the team at Mr Puzzle have some fantastic gift ideas they are going to adore. We’re one of Australia’s leading online puzzle stores, and we have the most extensive range of gifts for puzzle lovers in the country. You are guaranteed to find something that will captivate, challenge, and excite those logical thinkers in your life.
Why Do Puzzles Make Fantastic Gifts?
Aside from the fact that the puzzle lover in your life loves solving brain teasers, unique puzzle gifts also have plenty of benefits to the recipient!
- Stress relief. There is something oddly soothing about working on a puzzle. Despite your intermittent frustration, the brain loves opportunities to focus on one thing at a time. It allows you to go into a sort of meditative state and truly relax.
- An outlet for creativity. A lot of people think puzzles are for the most logical among us, but they require a great deal of creativity. You need to think of new ways to approach a solution, and brainstorming methods is a creative process.
- Improve productivity. Studies indicate that people who regularly work on puzzles are more productive in the workplace and their hobbies. Giving brain teasers as gifts allows the brain to recognise small details, thereby bettering the individual’s attention to detail in all other tasks!
- Happiness. When people complete puzzles after a lot of hard work and focus, their brains release dopamine and endorphins that create feelings of joy and accomplishment. This, in turn, improves feelings of confidence, optimism, and concentration.
A Puzzle For Everyone!
It doesn’t matter who you’re buying for or why you’re buying; brain teaser gifts are universally well-received. If you’re wondering who you could give unusual puzzle gifts to, here are a few instances in which puzzles make fantastic gifts.
- Secret Santa at work. Unsure of what to get your colleague? Get them a puzzle!
- Difficult dads. What do you get the dad who has it all? Have a look through Mr Puzzle’s range of unique puzzle gifts and see if anything catches your eye.
- Nieces and nephews. You don’t want to be the family member that gives them a gift card, but you have no idea what the kids enjoy these days. When in doubt, get them a puzzle.
- For a mate who needs a challenge. Before you hand your friend the bottle of Jack Daniels you bought for their birthday, why not put one of our spirit holder puzzles on it? Make them work for the gift.
5 Gifts For Puzzle Lovers They’re Bound To Love
Mr Puzzle stock a vast range of popular puzzles by puzzle-makers such as Wil Strijbos and Bill Cutler, so no matter how experienced your loved one is with puzzles, we’re sure to have something that will challenge them and keep them entertained. Here are a few of our most popular puzzles if you’re wondering what to buy.
- Cannonball brass take-apart puzzle. This puzzle is just challenging enough to make it fun, but it likely won’t take an experienced puzzle-solver too long to figure out. All you have to do is remove the brass ball from the cannon. Easy, right?
- Danlock puzzle lock by Dan Feldman. Considered a classic amongst puzzle collectors, this puzzle is far more complicated than it looks. The trick is to reassemble it exactly as you started it, and trust us; you’ll be scratching your head at times.
- The locked-out trick opening puzzle lock. This puzzle is excellent value for money and is fantastic for people just starting in the puzzle collecting world. If you’re after straightforward brain teaser gifts, this is the ideal present for you.
- Karakuri small puzzle box #5. This gorgeous puzzling wood gift box makes for a fantastic present for all occasions. It’s a prime example of the simplicity and beauty of traditional Japanese puzzle boxes, and your loved one will adore it.
- 4 piece aluminium jigsaw put together puzzle. Wil Strijbos is genuinely a master of puzzle-making, and this unique puzzle gift exemplifies his talent. In terms of gifts for puzzle lovers, this one takes the cake.
Check Out Mr Puzzle’s Online Store To Find Gifts For Puzzle Lovers
When you’re looking to purchase puzzles online, Mr Puzzle is your one-stop-shop. We’ve been designing and selling puzzles since 1992, and we had our online puzzle shop well before Google even existed. We’re renowned as Australia’s leading online puzzle store, and we’re proud to be able to offer puzzle-lovers across the nation with a wide variety of brain-teasing puzzles. At Mr Puzzle, you are guaranteed to receive high-quality puzzles, premium customer service, and unparalleled knowledge of all things puzzle-related. If you’re looking to purchase gifts for puzzle lovers in your life, don’t hesitate to drop by our online store and browse the range today!